Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The Occupation

When I tell people that I currently am enrolled at Sciences Po Paris they respond by saying something along the lines of, "Wow, you must be smart/an asshole." Seriously, that is the almost uniform response-- when people find out I am cool (which, of course, I am) I tend to hear, "wow, I can't believe you go to Sciences Po." Does this bother me? No, I fucking love it. Being infamous is fantastic. Turns out that the hatred of Sciences Po doesn't only stop at, "everyone who goes to this school is an asshole," but, "we should totally shut this piece of shit down." That's right, my school got "occupied" by the invading forces of about 200 students from other Paris Universities who apparently think we are a symbol of the economic segregation (or something like that) in society. 
So far the greve peoples has not affected classes, and the moment it does I might have to turn all Richard Nixon on these kids asses. It just reminds me of the days of the pointless protests at Boulder High-- if you are protesting or striking something that can be fixed, that is a legitimate problem in your society, more power to you. If you are being petulant about how some schools are better than others than please back up and let me go to class. Yes, there is social and economic inequality in every society, and I am not sure how the French are doing but in most places the government needs to do more. But is it really necessary to protest a school being a symbol? Or are you just jealous that we still have classes and are going to graduate on time. 

For those interested people who can read in french the link to an article is here.


No comments: