Saturday, February 21, 2009

EN VRAI!

On one of my latter shifts at Bart's before I left Jon put on one of the new singles from the Kitsune Maison label. It was an incredibly catchy, very 80s sounding electro pop song called Quicksand by La Roux which I was quick to call my new favorite song. I played the song almost everyday that I worked before I finally bought it and told everyone who asked if they could have it that I had already purchased it. Yesterday evening, after drinking Vodka Ginger Ales at my apartment and navigating the train, I saw La Roux and three other Kitsune artists play in a tiny basement venue about 1/2 the size of the Fox called La Maroquinerie. Needless to say it was spectacular.

 Martha and I got to the show late, we were unsure if the 19h30 meant doors or start, so we assumed doors and showed up 45 minutes after the time we were told. We had apparently missed the first act, but were still able to go right up to the front. When looking around before the second act went on I noticed something bothersome, these people were just like the people at home, for all I knew I could have been at a show in Denver. Hipsters everywhere dress the same (I guess only American's and New Zealanders do ironic animals though) and go to the same places. I am not yet sure whether it is nice to know that subcultures are the same everywhere or if it is disturbing and sad. I guess I will figure that out. 

Back to the point though, the first act was three maybe 20 year old Irish guys called Two Door Cinema club. Go out and buy their singles now! They were fantastic, sounding like a Cut Copy that had suddenly lost their nostalgia. The next act was the one that I payed 22 Euro for, La Roux. She came on in all her Flock of Seagulls glory and I went completely crazy, dancing up and down in front of the stage like a mad person. For those of you who don't know La Roux do yourself a favor and go to her myspace to hear Quicksand. After she left the girl who was next to me grabbed the set list and handed it over to me saying, "I think you want this." This is where I realized that I was not in Denver, but some place much better. At home, someone would not just give you a set list if you were obviously having a great time and loved the artist, they would keep it for their greedy selves. IE the Cut Copy show where Jenny and I were the only ones near us dancing and some Vampire fucking Weekend fans got the set list. I was truly shocked by the kindness. But it doesn't stop there, we then proceeded to talk to the people around us (in an odd franglish hybrid) and make friends with them. Again, when is the last time you made small talk that resulted in a, wow we have to hang out sometime here is my number, with anyone at a show? The last group to come on was We Have Band, who can be summed up by the fact that they did a Pet Shop Boys cover. 

We went up to the bar long enough to have a bottle of water, for me to gather up the courage to tell La Roux that I am a big fan and that her set rocked hardcore (!) and for the first few songs of We Have Band's DJ set in the bar upstairs from the club. Yes, I enjoyed every minute of it, yes I am living like I wanted to here, and yes, the next stop is an Ed Banger party...

No comments: